I try to perceive my life and situations in a way that helps me take control, which isn’t always easy. Sadly, life can sometimes leave us in a rut.
Below are practical ways that I use to get myself out of an emotional rut.
- Tell yourself the feeling will pass. If you see it as a temporary phase, your thoughts will recognise it as temporary;
- Socialising is a good tool for breaking the habit of exclusion when you’re in a rut;
- Exercise is known to release a ‘feel good factor’ hormone and while exercise can be a challenge, it is generally beneficial. Exercises such as jogging, swimming or walking are all good choices;
- Try changing your routine. Even one small change can help you clamber out of an emotional rut;
- Being proactive helps us change our mind-set even for a short while;
There are no right or wrong ways of doing it, it’s whatever works for you. Once you have control you can put your own stamp on what you do and when you do it.