The first step in developing compassion is empathy, because without empathy we can’t have compassion. Sadly, not only do we not practice compassion, but we fail to show empathy to those who need us to empathise with them.
The following suggestions may also help:
- How we are on the inside is more important than how we are on the outside;
- Empathy, tolerance, patience and compassion are all values it would be good to have;
- Take an interest in other people and try to understand what they deal with;
- Understanding other people’s issues, will help you understand your own and that will help with empathy and compassion;
- Be kind;
- Acts of kindness contributes towards us having empathy and compassion.
Compassion and empathy will always make a difference, not only to us in our lives because our lives will feel easier and therefore we’ll cope better, but will also make a difference to other people in their lives too.