It’s very frustrating when you know you always give of your best, but it’s never seen as your best by anyone else. Perhaps it’s got to something to do with others not meeting their own exacting standards so they’re so hard to please.
Or perhaps it’s because they tend to set their own standards, which they expect others to meet, or perhaps some of us will never accept family’s expectations or other people’s expectations. It’s just the way they are.
I believe that doing our best doesn’t always mean that we must outdo someone else, or that what we do has to be perfect so that we are seen as the best, it just means that whatever we do, we do it to the best of our ability and know that hand on heart, we have achieved our best.
That should be good enough for others too. It’s not something we should concern ourselves with, because if we’re doing our best, it shouldn’t matter what other people think.
We give of our best when:
- We treat others in a kind and conciliatory manner;
- We talk with respect;
- We don’t stand in judgment;
- We give help where help is needed;
- We allow others to take control of their own circumstances and act as a guide if it’s needed;
- We take time to listen;
- We say nice things so that others will feel good about themselves;
- We think about what we say and how we say it;
- We are loyal, honest and show compassion;
- We have a kind heart.
Whatever people’s reasons are for choosing to behave in a way that is less than appropriate when we are constantly trying to do our best for them, it is something they must live with.