I try to perceive my life and situations in a way that helps me take control, which isn’t always easy.
Below are practical ways that I sometimes use to get myself out of an emotional rut:
- I work on the assumption that the rut will pass. I tend to see it as a temporary phase, so my thoughts will recognise it as temporary;
- Getting out is a good tool for breaking the habit of exclusion;
- Exercise is known to release a ‘feel good factor’ hormone and helps with the feel- good factor. I tend to go for walks, clear my head a bit;
- Try to change your routine. Even one small change can help you clamber out of an emotional rut;
- Being proactive also helps us change our mind-set even for a short while.
There are no right or wrong ways of trying to get out of a rut. it’s whatever works. Once we have control we can put our own stamp on what we do and when we do it.