I try to perceive my life and situations in a way that helps me take control but it’s not always easy.
Below are practical ways to get us out of an emotional rut:
- Work on the assumption that the rut will pass. I try to see it as a temporary phase, so my thoughts will recognise it only as temporary;
- Getting out of the house is a good tool for breaking the habit of exclusion and being in a rut;
- Exercise is known to release a ‘feel good’ hormone; go for walks to clear your head;
- Think about one small change that will help you clamber out of an emotional rut;
- Being proactive helps change your mind-set even if it is only for a short while.
There is no right or wrong way of trying to get yourself out of a rut. It’s whatever works for you. Once you have control, you can put your own stamp on what you do and when you choose to do it.