Learning from our mistakes isn’t as easy as we think. If it were, we would never make any mistakes.
So how do we learn from our mistakes?
For us to learn from our mistakes, we must first admit we’ve made a mistake. Easy to say, not so easy to do. As soon as we begin to accept that we made a mistake, the learning process can begin.
When we blame others, we automatically distance ourselves from any possible lesson or responsibility. Although mistakes are inevitable, I believe we can learn from our mistakes to avoid possible future mistakes.
I also believe that when we spend too much time obsessing over past mistakes, we will inevitably go on to make new ones.
- Always accept responsibility and own any mistakes we make. That way we’re more likely to work out how to avoid new ones;
- Try and understand why and what factors were involved in the decision process;
- Make sure you have all the facts in front of you;
- Follow your own gut feeling on any decisions you make and don’t question yourself. When others make your decisions for you, any decision made that isn’t your own will turn out to be a mistake;
- Try and change any patterns that contribute to mistakes being made.
I believe that all mistakes are lessons in disguise, but we must put in the necessary work to learn from them.