Learning from our mistakes isn’t as easy as we think. If it were, I suspect we would never make any mistakes.
For us to learn from our mistake, we must first admit we’ve made one. Easy to say, not so easy to do. As soon as we begin to accept that we made a mistake, the learning process will begin.
From my experiences, we tend to blame others and then automatically distance ourselves from any possible responsibility or lessons, but we will never learn like that. When we spend too much time obsessing over our mistakes, we will inevitably go on to make new ones.
- Always accept responsibility for our mistakes.
- That way we’re more likely to work out how to avoid new ones;
- Try and understand why and what factors were involved in the decision process;
- Make sure you have all the facts in front of you;
- Follow your own gut feeling on any decisions and try not to question yourself;
- Try and change any patterns that contribute to mistakes being made.
From my own spiritual beliefs based on my understanding, all mistakes are lessons in disguise, but we must put in the necessary work to learn from them.