Remaining upbeat isn’t always easy. Depending on what we may deal with, there is only so much anyone can handle before everything becomes too much. But it is important to try to remain upbeat.
Through my own experiences of dealing with a family member who is terminally ill, it is important to decide how much we can mentally and emotionally give. Usually a family member’s expectations of the help they want, will differ to what we can give. It’s not always easy in those circumstances to remain upbeat.
It’s easy to give up all our time to help because we feel guilty, or it is expected that we will, but it is important to think about ourselves. When we’re supporting someone else, who supports us?
The following helps me:
- Try to develop a spiritual awareness. Being spiritual will help you to remain focused and positive, even when you’re dealing with stressful situations;
- Listen to music or read books that encourage you to remain upbeat. Read positive quotes and incorporate daily affirmations into your life so that you can continue to think positive;
- Think about all that is positive in your life and try to concentrate on everything you know to be positive;
- Try to be creative. Take up a hobby or exercise;
- Surround yourself with people who are upbeat, fun and spiritual. That way you’ll be more inclined to be positive when dealing with negative situations.
Without being able to remain upbeat, it is easy for illness to creep in. It is important to remain upbeat.