As I try to remain upbeat, I can understand why the brain can easily go into a negative state, given my set of circumstances. There is only so much anyone can handle before everything becomes too much.
The following helps me:
- Try to develop a spiritual awareness. Being spiritual will help you to remain focused and positive, even when you’re dealing with stressful situations;
- Listen to music or read books that encourage you to remain upbeat. Read positive quotes and incorporate daily affirmations into your life so that you can continue to think positive;
- Think about all that is positive in your life and try to concentrate on everything you know to be positive;
- Try to be creative. Take up a hobby or exercise;
- Surround yourself with people who are upbeat, fun and spiritual. That way you’ll be more inclined to be positive when dealing with negative situations.
Through my own experiences of dealing with a family member who is terminally ill, it is important to decide how much you can emotionally give. Usually a relative’s expectations of the help they want will differ to what you can give.
It’s easy to give up all your time to help because you feel guilty, you feel you should; or its expected that you will, but it’s important to think about yourself. When you’re supporting someone else, who supports you?
Sadly, without remaining upbeat, it’s easy for illness to creep in. We need to remain upbeat.