The problem with life is that we want more than we can afford to have, run or own. We buy too many material things. Our children have more now than our generation had, more than our parents’ generation had, but they seem less happy than we were.
Some ways to simplify your life:
- Make peace with your past. Let go of the things you cannot change and change the things you can;
- Stop holding on to anger and bitterness. Holding on to the things that we have no control over can make us even more angry and bitter.
- Cut down on the relationships that leave you emotionally drained;
- Make your life simple and less complicated. Relationships should be equal. If they’re not, then perhaps it’s time to re-think;
- Downsize your to-do list. Spend time on your own. Go for a walk, read a book or listen to classical music;
- Remember to say ‘no,’ once in a while and don’t feel bad about it.
As a child, I wasn’t indulged, simply because my parents couldn’t afford to buy me things. My life was simple and playing ball in the back garden was considered fun. That really was the simple life.