Having done a feature page entitled ‘Simplify things in your life,’ I wanted to elaborate more with a blog.
The problem with life is that we want more than we can afford to have, run or own. We buy too many things. Our children have more now than our generation had, more than our parents’ generation did, but they’re less happy than we were.
As a child, I wasn’t indulged, my parents couldn’t afford to buy me things. Looking back, I didn’t miss out. My life was simple, playing ball in the back garden was considered fun.
Some other ways to simplify your life:
- Stop holding on to anger and bitterness. Holding on to the things that we have no control over can make us even more angry and bitter. Let go of the things you cannot change, and change the things you can. Make peace with your past and be okay with your life;
- Cut down on negative relationships that leave you emotionally drained. Relationships should be equal… if they’re not, then perhaps it’s time to evaluate. When we make too many compromises to fit into other people’s life, it’s the wrong kind of effort. Inevitably something always happens to bring the relationship into question;
- Give yourself time in your day to stop, think and take a deep breath. Down size the things on your to-do list so that you do less. Go for a walk; turn the television and your mobile phone off. Read a book or listen to classical music. Incorporate that into your day as often as you can and see how much more focused, calm and more positive you become;
- Remember to say no, once in a while. That helps us to focus on what we want, rather than what someone else wants from us and don’t feel bad about it saying it;
- Start exercising as part of your routine and simplify your life. Exercise isn’t a luxury; it’s a must for those of us who want a long and healthy life without adding to complications on our health;
Finally, diet contributes to the above. Watch what you eat and make sure your diet fits into your lifestyle. Don’t skip meals, take time to eat and take out processed packaged foods so that you’re incorporating healthier choices.