I have noticed that in general society has become more materialistic. We want more than we can afford to have, own or need. We buy too many material things and whilst some children have more now than our generation had, more than our parents’ generation had; they seem less happy than we were.
Some ways to simplify your life:
- Make peace with your past;
- Let go of the things you cannot change and change the things you can;
- Stop holding on to anger and bitterness;
- Cut down or cut out the relationships that leave you emotionally drained;
- Relationships should be equal. If they’re not, then it’s time for a re-think;
- Downsize your to-do list. Spend time on your own. Go for a walk, read a book, or listen to classical music;
- Remember to say ‘no’ once in a while without feeling bad about it.
As a child, I wasn’t indulged, primarily because my parents couldn’t afford to buy me things. I’m pleased I wasn’t. Life was more simple back then, more than it is today. Playing ball in the back garden when I was growing up was considered fun. That really was the simple life.