Relationships may seem difficult when families pull in different directions. We may pull in different directions when we work independently of each other, when we’re non-committed and non-supportive.
The following suggestions may be useful:
- Try to create balance and harmony;
- Allow family members to make their own decisions;
- Be happy with their decisions even if you can’t agree;
- Always try to work with one another to help achieve a satisfactory outcome;
- Try to be encouraging and act as a support;
- Try not to be negative about another family member, because they don’t agree;
- Try not to force your opinions;
- Listening without making judgments is important on both sides.
It is important to let other family members contribute to discussions, for us to listen to what they have to say. Issues may start when one family member is trying to hog the limelight and others don’t get a look in.
We have much to gain from listening to other people’s views and insights. We need to learn to communicate with family better and just be a support. Family isn’t about competition and yet it may often feel like it is.