I believe culture has a tendency to infringe on our resilience. We’re born into a world where culture is important, but others may be less accepting of their culture than their parents or grandparents were.
The cultural and diverse society we live in makes it all much harder, because others will form opinions on our beliefs and for some of us that may begin to impact on how we feel about ourselves. It can be confusing.
So how do we build resilience?
- We cannot change stressful events or stop them from happening, but we can change our resolve so that we interpret and respond to those events positively. Try and look ahead of your presenting circumstances, to how those circumstances might work out;
- By working on our emotional health every day and as we evolve, we will make new discoveries about ourselves. We will learn things about ourselves we didn’t know, allowing ourselves to recognise and build on our strengths. We will also learn about our increased sense of self-worth. These are all great tools to help us build resilience;
- A big part of our life has to be our ability to accept change. When we accept change, we go on to experience new experiences and learn new things, expand our minds whilst building resilience;
- Develop confidence to problem solve and use our instincts as a guide. It’s our instincts that act as our guide, we must trust them;
- We must cut problems down to size and keep things in perspective. Always try to look objectively at a problem and situation and keep it in perspective. Avoid making it bigger than it has to be, because when it’s dealt with as we see it, it’s automatically cut down to size.
It’s important to continue to identify and incorporate your own strategies for building resilience. Always remain optimistic and upbeat and try to let go of the issues you have no control over.
To be cont.d/3