To let go of the past, you need to deal with the things you’ve never come to terms with. It also includes the things you didn’t know you had a problem with, until it became obvious you had a problem.
Anything or everything in your life that leaves you unable to cope.
The suggestions below may be helpful:
- Write down your thoughts in a journal or a letter, recording everything that’s bothering you;
- Talk to the people you’ve had a problem with, particularly if not talking to them is stopping you from moving on;
- Share your feelings. If there are any mistakes you’ve made admit and own them;
- Understand the bigger picture and everyone’s part in what you’re struggling with;
- If you feel angry deal with the anger. Get help if you need it. A counsellor is usually a good starting place. If not a counsellor, a good friend, someone who will listen.
The past is the key to us living successfully in the present. Dealing with the past helps us make better decisions and form better relationships. Without dealing with the past, we can never expect to feel good in the present.
It’s never easy dealing with issues from our past, but it’s well worth the effort when we do. You will be amazed at just how much better you will begin feel.