The Effect of Smoking

Yesterday I was driving back from the shops when I saw a teenager, probably no more than 19 years of age, light a cigarette.

Seeing him took me back to my own childhood and the candy cigarettes we used to buy as a kid with pocket money. I had no idea back then, what the connotations behind buying candy cigarettes meant. Although I never went on to smoke, my father smoked one cigarette a day, usually at night. He always maintained it was because it relaxed him from a hard day at work, but after about 4 years he just quit.

I was never encouraged to smoke and am glad that I’ve never tried, but it’s a shame that more and more people were encouraged to smoke through the RAF (Royal Air Force) advertising campaigns; billboards; media; movies and the UK National Service.

Health effects of smoking

Some of the diseases outlined below give us many reasons as to why we should give up:

  • Lung cancer;
  • Hypertension;
  • Oral Cancer;
  • Lung disease;
  • Pancreatic cancer

Smoking not only affects the person smoking, but also through passive smoking. It can also affect the unborn child.

My mother died of Lung Cancer and although she was a non-smoker; she was a passive smoker to some extent when she was a child. We know that around 10% of all Lung Cancer patients haven’t smoked a cigarette, but that leaves 90% of those patients who have Lung Cancer who do. That’s a very high percentage.

For something that was considered to be cool all those years ago, I don’t consider cool. Perhaps the cool tag should be on those who choose not to smoke cigarettes. It certainly isn’t cool dealing with illness, which in most cases becomes fatal.

20 Feb, 2011

6 thoughts on “The Effect of Smoking

  1. I agree. I smoked for many years and stopping is a pain.

    It’s a terrible addiction and when you quit or start to quit it’s hard for others that do smoke because in my house they have to change their smoking habits; such as where to smoke and not smoke around you. For some people they enjoy smoking and quitting is harder for them because it’s a stress reliever to a certain extent.

    For others it doesn’t matter what happens to their health, they will still smoke. Quitting is difficult and there isn’t much out there to help. You can exchange one habit for another like the patches and gum or take a medication that has worse side effects than smoking.

    With me the patches worked alright. But I still think it’s a mental thing and you have to be mentally prepared to do it. I’m not mentally prepared to totally quit. I smoke a few a day and that’s better than a pack, or more like I used to.

    I did quit for 2 years when my dad was sick with cancer but I quit before he got ill. It wasn’t because he was ill with cancer that I quit, but a doctor told me that that wasn’t a good time to quit because dad was ill and it was going to be hard with his illness and I needed a stress reliever.

    I didn’t listen to him and quit anyway but started back when my mother became ill again with cancer and couldn’t handle the stress of everything that was going on. Now I’m back there again and I need to learn how to handle the stress better than smoking.

    1. Trying to stop smoking Lisa isn’t easy, but the benefits far outweigh anything negative.

      There is never a right time to quit, but with determination and willpower I believe it can be done in time. One has to want to quit and be focused on quitting regardless of stress levels.

      Smoking will also make what you deal with a lot harder to work through. I think all your medical problems will be made worse because you smoke, particularly your Fibromyalgia.

      I’m also not sure I would agree with your doctor that there is a wrong time to quit. If you weren’t dealing with your dad’s illness, there would have been something else you were having to deal with.

      Any time you try to stop will be right. You just need to do it.

  2. Thankfully tobacco advertising is now banned in the UK, so children can’t see all the glamorous images of Hollywood stars and racing drivers smoking that we saw as children. Unfortunately I don’t think the number of teenagers’ smoking has decreased.

    I grew up in a house where one parent smoked, but me, my brother and sister hated the smell so much, we were put off smoking for good.

    That’s one thing they got right!

    1. I agree with your sentiments, although you say one parent smoked and unless that parent went out to smoke, you will have grown with a parent smoking around you.

      Passive smoking I believe is harmful too. They didn’t quite get that right!

Leave a Reply to Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Order my new book

Ilana x