Any website you look at for cerebral palsy, will always mention something about urinary and bowel issues, because its common for those of us who deal with cerebral palsy.
With the help of digestive enzymes, acidophilus, slippery elm and looking at our diet, we can help ourselves work through the process. For urinary infections, cranberry juice or a cranberry supplement will help.
Below are ways of learning to control bladder function:
- Be aware of the bladder when it contracts;
- Be aware of the bladder being full, so that you can plan ahead to use the bathroom;
- Being able to postpone and control the emptying reflex as and when you need to;
- Be aware of when the bladder is empty;
- Be aware and being able to hold urine when the bladder is full, by contracting the muscles of the “pelvic floor.”
Just wondering if there is anyone with cerebral palsy who has experienced these problems and is happy to talk about their experiences. If there is anyone dealing with this problem, I would love to hear from you.